Establishing a commercial poultry farm requires license and permission from the Government.
Establishing a commercial poultry farm requires license and permission from the Government. For a successful commercial poultry farm business, the following stepwise processes are to be followed:
- Choosing the suitable type of farming (broilers breeding, layers breeding, chicken breeding, etc.)
- Selection of suitable location for setting up farmhouse
- Selection of suitable poultry breeds (broilers, layers, etc.)
- Setting up of proper farming shelter with the provision of water, feed, pesticide and medicines
- Maintaining a proper disease prevention management system
The following steps need to be followed for getting the license to start the poultry farm
Submission of application for a license
The applicant must provide the following details in the application.
- Plan of Poultry farmhouse with proper specifications such as width, length, area, etc.
- Details such as ventilation facility, temperature maintenance, farmhouse capacities, etc.
- A list of documents to be attached along with the application is Certificate of Registration of company, Insurance Policy, Poultry Farm Business permit, Business Plan, Animal Welfare Standards, etc.
- List of other licenses to be obtained from the local authorities to get a license are No Objection certificate from the local government in the area where the poultry farm is planned to set up, No Objection Certificate from Pollution Board, Permission from Electricity Board, Permission from Ground Water Department fro water supply.
Area and structure of Farmhouse
- The applicant must ensure that the farmhouse is built in such a way that there is proper protection to the poultry with compacted border
- Provision to maintain a distance of 100 meters away from other poultry farms, 500 meters away from the village and 200 meters from the road, etc.
Provision of Adequate water, Feed, Pesticides, and Medications
- Proper water system with adequate clean water is to be maintained so as to protect the poultry from infections
- Proper storage of feed container in a clean surface
- Proper medication should be provided on time with clear indications
- Ensuring that the medicines and disinfectants are maintained separately
Ensuring hygienic and safety environment
Provisions to dispose of the poultry carcasses on a daily basis in the decomposition pit
Maintenance of suitable firefighting with proper instructions and user manual
Download Poultry Farm Manual – A Reference Guide for Central and State Poultry Farms by Department of Animal Husbandry, Dairying and Fisheries, Government of India
Proper food safety management system to be adopted by the commercial poultry farm businesses to ensure the highest standards of business practices. General Guidance Document on Food Safety Management System (FSMS) prepared based on Food Safety & Standards (Licensing & Registration of Food Business) Regulation, 2011 can be referred to ensure food safety and to control related hazards and risks covering poultry processing, retailing, distribution, and storage.
Commercial Poultry Farm businesses must follow the guidelines given by the Tamilnadu Pollution Control Board to address the environmental problems from poultry farms.
To ensure better welfare of egg-laying hens and broiler chicken, the government is insisted to implement the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (Egg Laying Hens) Rules, 201, and the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (Broiler Chicken) Rules, 2017 recommended by the Law Commission.
Health and Safety
Commercial Poultry Farm businesses must adopt the following for ensuring health and safety.
Safe use of pesticides
- Pesticides to be stored in containers with warning signs
- Storage of Pesticides away from house premises, away from the reach of the children and livestock
- Protection from direct sunlight and rain
- Protective clothings viz., hand gloves, face masks, cap, apron, full trouser, etc. are to be used to cover whole body
- Only recommended sprayer for each spray and dose and dilution to be applied
Responsible use of Antibiotics
- Antibiotics are one of the most important tools veterinarians use to protect human and animal health
- Antibiotics and medicines are to be used wisely to keep chickens healthy and to protect them from diseases as they are part of sustainable production
Download Food Safety and Standards Authority of India Regulations
Get Our Latest Articles Delivered In your inbox
Please get in touch and we will be happy to help you.
S.F.NO 388/3, Ist Floor, Federal (Upstairs),
Palladam - 641664,
Tirupur District, Tamilnadu, India.